Access to electricity supply matters to business because poor power supply adversely affects the productivity of firms and the investments they make in their productive capacity. Eliminating electricity outages, power management that takes into account the needs of businesses and production and reliable, good-quality electricity supply is essential for businesses. Before all that, of course, comes getting a new connection, a process measured by the Getting Electricity indicator on the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index.
Through K-Electric and the Sindh Energy Department, the province of Sindh has undertaken the following reforms in recent years to make it easy for businesses to access electricity:
- Introduction of online case-tracking facility of new connections for industrial consumers
- Reduction in documentation for Industrial New Connection, Load Extension & Load Regularization
- Introduction of Universal Customer Care model; NC applications can be submitted at any of the 30 KE Centres of customer’s choice
- Introduction of cost-effective, full-paid scheme; all material purchase & installation done by KE
- Industrial Helpdesk established twice a month at Industrial Association Offices for New Connection and Operational Queries
- Energy department amended its SOP to reduce time taken by Electric Inspector for inspections to 3 days from 14 for new connections.
Useful Links: K-Electric https://www.ke.com.